My project-1-22

Yorkshire Cup Week 2, Weekend Review

Another week in the Yorkshire Cup meant another week of back-to-back wins for the Morley Glass Leeds Knights!

On Friday night, the first point on the agenda was to pay our respects to Her Majesty The Queen, which we did in the form of a beautifully observed 2-minutes silence, followed by the national anthem which rang throughout Planet Ice Leeds.

The Sheffield Steeldogs made their first visit to Leeds of the 22-23 season on Friday, hoping to avenge the 3-1 loss they faced the week before. The ‘Dogs had a lightning start, scoring in just 31 seconds into the game from Assistant captain and league veteran Jason Hewitt.

It took the Morley Glass Leeds Knights until the second period to answer back and did so by 1-upping the Steeldogs by scoring within 11 seconds of the opening face-off for the second frame. The goal was scored by Cole Shudra, who once again made an appearance on the score sheet multiple times on the night. Just 3 minutes later, Archie Hazeldine jumped in on the play and got his first of the Yorkshire Cup and providing the Knights with their first lead of the night.

The second period also saw Harrison Walker take his place between the pipes, Walker made some impressive saves and had a great start to his 22-23 season, but Jason Hewitt once again stepped up for the Steeldogs and tied the game at 2 goals apiece.

The action didn’t stop there in the second period, with Zach Brooks scoring an unassisted goal at the 35minute mark to ensure the Knights headed into the third with a one-goal lead.

In the third and final period, we had to wait a whole 3 minutes and 28 seconds before a goal was scored – this time by #9 Grant Cooper who kept his goal-scoring streak running. Jason Hewitt capped off his night with another goal, earning himself a hat-trick, but unfortunately his efforts weren’t enough as the Steeldogs still trailed by a goal with just over 10 minutes left. While Grant continued his scoring streak, Kieran Brown got the monkey off his back by scoring a ridiculously skilful goal, the Michigan – and sealing the deal on a Knights victory in the process.


On Sunday, the Leeds Knights visited Hull for the very first time, looking to make it 4 wins out of 4 in the Yorkshire Cup!

Harrison Walker got his first start in goal for the Leeds Knights and was faced with just a singular shot in the first period. Grant Cooper was the difference in the first 20 minutes, with his goal being the only tally in the first frame.

Halfway through the second period the Knights came alive, and with a flurry of scoring extended the lead to 4-0 ahead of the third period. Matt Haywood grabbed another goal to double the Knights’ lead to two, followed by a bullet of a shot from Kieran Brown and the second period was rounded out with a goal from Zach Brooks.

It was more of the same from the Leeds Knights in the third period, with Cole Shudra hitting the crossbar and Grant Cooper got to the rebound first and picked up his second goal of the night. Cooper finished off his hat-trick following a 2-on-1 with linemate Zach Brooks who sold everybody but Grant with a fake slapshot into a pass. Barnes and Brooks also picked up a goal each towards the end of the third, and a shut-out seemed to be on the cards for Harrison Walker who had made some massive saves over the course of the 2nd and 3rdperiods. However, a powerplay in the final 2 minutes of the game saw Hull get their first goal of the night from Lee Pollitt, who poked the puck home following a big slapshot from the blueline.

The final buzzer went, with the game ending 8-1 in favour of the Leeds Knights, who entered the Hull Ice Arena as Yorkshire Cup champions and left undefeated! Get your tickets to our home league opener, this Saturday against the Telford Tigers – here!